We all have different opinions and viewpoints, but let’s give Crean a shot.
The idea of Tom Crean being Head Coach at Georgia provokes a lot of reactions, but there’s no sense in fighting right now. Is this a Slam Dunk Hire? No, but this is not a Fukushima hire either. No sense in imploding Clay Travis style over this one. (Yes, the preference here was Buffalo Head Coach Nate Oats, but we must move on.) There were plans as far as how to approach Crean before the hire was made and given his personality along with the memes, the change here at Georgia Basketball Blog will be quite obvious.
This is a real e-mail with redacted contact information, it was the first proposal.
The ideas proposed:
- Just do comedy all season, forget everything else.
- Do some comedy, some analysis.
- Take inspiration from Christopher Hitchens’ true muse, Johnnie Walker Black Label, while writing.
- Renaming Georgia Basketball Blog to “The Misadventures of Tom Crean”.
- Pushing Tom Crean to be part of a buddy cop sitcom.
- Angry, righteous indignation.
- Shutting down and just having a photoshopped picture of Crean and Nigel Farage be the entire site.
The decision is to keep it much lighter, getting back to the publication’s roots.
- More fun: Crean is just a funny character.
- Xs and Os: Like game film? It will be in more chewable form.
- Analytics: Because math is our friend.
- Less feuding with old men.
- Less politics: Build a wall along the Alabama border. It’s hard being an alt-right “Social Justice Warrior”.
- More encouraging you to party it up before and after games.
- Hilarious hotel reviews of hotels in road cities.
- More bitching about that subpar High School gym in the Cayman Islands. Some things will not change, that’s a non-negotiable.
So yeah, Georgia Basketball Blog is changing. You don’t like it? Well, you didn’t like it in the first place. It’s okay.
Give Crean a chance, let’s not burn the town down. However, let’s not forget that passionate and thoughtful dissent and debate is in our DNA and that it is okay to disagree. We’re not Auburn and we do not have land in Guyana.
And yes, I’m trolling everyone over my political views. I sincerely love the fact that my readers have such diversity of opinion in terms of politics.
Forgot to mention: There was an astute commenter who brought up that Hugh Durham wore the Red Blazer and it is certainly possible that Tom Crean brings it back. However, he was not the most recent coach to sport the Red Blazer. Believe it or not. It was Dennis Felton.
Dennis Felton is a trivia answer now. Beyond being one of the rare coaches to win twice on the same day (SEC Tournament 2008) and lose twice on the same day (2007 Rainbow Classic) within one season.