This 2017 recruiting class is full of twists and turns for UGA. Now it involves the Old Line State.
If presented with the idea in July that UGA could possibly bring in five recruits that played High School or Prep School Basketball in the State of Maryland it would seem crazy, but it is now a possibility. It is amazing how one home visit to see Jamir Moultrie turned into a possible package deal that may include not only Moultrie, but Teshaun Hightower and Obadiah “Obie” Toppin. Just when the class seemed rather predictable and had a somewhat diversified Southern flair, it presents the possibility of Georgia adding a second pipeline. The first pipeline was Detroit and now the second pipeline could be Baltimore. This is a possible game changer for UGA Basketball and it could send a major message.
But first… an update on UGA Recruiting Targets for the Class of 2017
- Jamir Moultrie: Mark Fox visited Moultrie this week in Bowie. Many believe that Moultrie is a strong lean to UGA.
- CJ Roberts: He is from North Richland Hills, Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex) and on September 15 put together his Top 6. LSU, Missouri, Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech and Ole Miss are the other programs considered.
— CJ Roberts❗️❗️ (@CJRoberts_0) September 15, 2016
- Teshaun Hightower: Originally from Suwanee, Georgia and he attended Collins Hill High School before transferring to Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Maryland. Just received his offer from UGA on the same date as his High School teammate Obadiah Toppin. In AAU action, he plays for the ATL Xpress on the Under Armour Association circuit. He’s 6’5″ 180 pounds and will probably put on another 5-10 pounds before getting on a college campus. Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Butler and Texas A&M are all interested in him, but have yet to offer.
- Clyde Trapp: Trapp is from Hopkins, South Carolina and attends Lower Richland High School, which is just southeast of Columbia. The 6’4″ Guard claims a 4.6 GPA and offers from Georgia Tech, Buffalo, Charlotte, Tennessee State, Rice, Appalachian State and South Florida.
- Jay Jay Chandler: Chandler is from Katy, Texas and is a 6’4″ 175 pound Combo Guard that has put UGA in his Final Five. UGA joins Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, USC and Western Kentucky in this Final Five. Chandler on UGA, “I have a really good relationship with Georgia. I’ve been talking to them for some time now and they’ve told me that I’d be a perfect fit for their system.”
- David Nickelberry: This 6’7″ 210 pound Small Forward from Orlando, Florida is down to his Final Four. UGA, Memphis, Vanderbilt and USC are on this list. He’s making an official visit to Memphis this weekend.
- Herb Jones: Jones made an unofficial visit to Athens during the weekend of August 26. Jones is currently in Atlanta visiting Georgia Tech. He’s a 6’7″ 185 pound Small Forward from Moundville, Alabama, which is south of Tuscaloosa. Jones has made official visits to Auburn and Florida thus far. He is planning to make an official visit to Alabama as well. He is believed to make an official visit to UGA at some point.
- Anthony Mack: This 6’6″ 215 pound Swingman from Troy, New York is currently attending Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey. He has offers from Wyoming, Memphis, Saint Louis, Drexel, Yale, Lehigh, Buffalo and Stony Brook. No offer yet from UGA.
Wyoming and St. Louis will be at Blair on Friday for 6-6 wing Anthony Mack, who has St. Louis, Wyoming, Memphis and Duquesne + UGA & Ga Tech
— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) September 6, 2016
- Alexis Yetna: He is attending Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Maryland. Has received offers from Oregon State, Drexel, St. Bonaventure, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion, Temple, Cincinnati, Duquesne, Rhode Island, Pittsburgh and New Mexico. Yetna has interest from UAB and Washington State.
- Obadiah Toppin: He is attending Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Maryland. He is originally from Ossining, New York, which is in Westchester County. Toppin was a Shooting Guard and then became a Small Forward. He’s now projected as a Combo Forward. His height is said to be 6’9″ by Mt. Zion Prep on social media, but according to the latest roster released by the school, he’s 6’8″. Toppin handles the ball like a “wing” and can shoot from long range. In his last year at Ossining High School, he was a 37% three point shooter. He has offers from Maryland – Eastern Shore, Quinnipiac, Jacksonville State and Siena. Virginia Tech has expressed interest in him as well.
- Isaiah Whaley: Still holds an offer from UGA. He was originally classified in the Class of 2016, but chose to be a part of the Class of 2017. He attends Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Nicolas Claxton: UGA visited Claxton on September 13 and South Carolina visited him on September 12. Claxton is to make his official visit to South Carolina this weekend. He’ll officially visit UGA on the weekend of the Tennessee Football game and then visit Baylor two weeks later. His last official visit is to North Carolina State on October 21. UGA is still the favorite for Claxton.
- Rayshaun Hammonds: The first recruit Mark Fox visited upon being able to leave campus to make in-home visits. Fox has a lot of competition and being in the Final Nine for Hammonds without an official visit puts UGA a bit on the outside in some ways. However, Hammonds has made several trips to Athens and it is a rather easy trip for the Norcross native. The program to watch out of all nine is not Alabama nor is it Georgia Tech nor Texas. Keep an eye on Georgia State, Hammonds could be the first major recruit that Assistant Coach Sharman White brings into the fold. Official visits to Miami, Memphis, UConn and Alabama loom.
— Tipton Edits (@TiptonEdits_) September 14, 2016
Alex Reese: UGA is OUT. Reese cancelled his official visit to UGA and is now down to UAB and Alabama. Very possible he chooses UAB. Jamal Cain: Cain is in Milwaukee this weekend visiting Marquette. He’s down to his Final Four: UGA, Michigan, Marquette and Florida State. Cain is set to visit Athens next weekend. (9/18 UPDATE: Jamal Cain committed to Marquette. UGA is OUT)
Luka Garza: Committed to Iowa last weekend.
- Brandon Huffman: Recently picked up offers from UNC, Indiana, Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech. He had in-home visits from Kevin Stallings of Pittsburgh and Buzz Williams of Virginia Tech.
- Garrison Brooks: Apparently, the media blackout ended as he did an interview with Today’s U. This means that a certain “unbiased reporter” at Rivals that is actually more of a propaganda mouthpiece for Auburn Athletics can talk to Brooks again. Brooks received an offer from UNC and this may be a game-changer. Auburn is very much interested in Garrison Brooks. Brooks will make an official visit to Chapel Hill on October 7. He will visit Athens on an official visit on September 30. UNC is the favorite to land Brooks.
This is where UGA stands right now. Supposedly, UGA will have five scholarship spots available for this class. It is actually possible for UGA to fit all of the Maryland High School recruits targeted in this class and meet needs. Alexis Yetna, Isaiah Whaley, Teshaun Hightower, Obadiah Toppin and Jamir Moultrie can all be a part of the Class of 2017. It can actually make sense. Yetna and Whaley serving as posts, Toppin as a 3/4, Hightower as a 2 and Moultrie at the Point Guard spot. It can even be shuffled and sold as a “Positionless” group as well.